Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Sad...

Okay...so this is strictly a venting post-which I typically save for Facebook or conversations with my husband or friends. But. This one effects the kids, so I thought, why not.
The other day my Hayden came home from school and was SUPER excited because he got a sticker from his buddy Thayer-in fact, he brought enough for everyone. I asked Hayden if he would like to do that-take a little treat in for his friends, and he responded with: "you know Mom, I was thinking...I think I would like to bake some cookies and take them to all of my friends.". 2 thoughts immediately came to mind: 1. I have such a sweet, thoughtful little guy. And 2. Crap! I'm the world's worst cookie maker.
But, being the FABULOUS mama that I am (ha!), we checked the cabinets for the ingredients and started baking. 4 dozen cookies and a late night trip to Michael's for cute cellophane bags later, we had a festive basket of treats for his friends.
This morning Hayden couldn't wait to get to school to present the basket to Miss Julie...and let me tell you-my boy was PROUD.
Well, about an hour ago my phone rang and low and behold it was Miss Julie. I was afraid that she was calling because he was sick or hurt...but instead, she was calling to tell me that she is unable to hand the treats out because they're homemade. Apparently there is a law that says kids can't share homemade treats anymore. Wow. What a HUGE bummer. I remember when I was a kid, how fun it was when kids brought in homemade birthday treats...and I had seriously been looking forward to being "that mom"...at least occasionally. I do get it...allergies, poison, etc. But. I still don't like it, and I still think it's sad.
PS. Miss Julie knew this was the case this morning, but didn't want to crush him...which I appreciate. And. She's going to allow him to hand his treats out to the teachers-which he will love.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: