Monday, July 14, 2008

Answered Prayers

I'm sure you're all...or at least most of you are familiar with the Garth Brooks song, UnAnswered Prayers, right? Well, it's strange, but I think about that song a lot in my life. When I look back, there have been so many times when I have prayed and prayed for things, and they have gone unanswered...but in retrospect, it has all turned out for the best. Of course, when I was young, I'd pray that this or that relationship would work out...that my parents wouldn't find out that I'd skipped school, that I'd wake up and that horrible blemish would have disappeared. Sometimes my "prayers" would be answered...sometimes not. I wasn't always so shallow...I've prayed for world peace, for health, for happiness, safe flights, for safe pregnancies, for happy and healthy relationships...not not just for me, but for family and friends as well. Every night when we put Hayden to bed we say prayers...we pray for Grandpa Blaire in heaven, for all of the friends and family members that we are blessed to have in our lives...and our newest prayer includes our new baby. For those of you who are reading this and didn't know...we're expecting our 2nd child in February (the 26th to be exact). We are all thrilled...and know how extremely blessed we are and what a miracle this little life is.
That's why when I started to have some light bleeding this weekend, we immediately began praying. After talking to my very level headed OB, we decided to wait until today (Monday) to have her run some tests and to do an u/s. It was very difficult for me to leave all of this in God's hands, but as Jason kept telling me...the outcome was completely out of our hands and all we could do was to pray. So we did.
This morning we were able to get in to see our doctor, and after the exam she said that things looked positive, and that the worry factor should be about a 3 or 4...after 3 days of it being at a 15, a 3 or 4 sounded wonderful!!! She then sent us on our way for an u/s. The technician did a "normal-on the belly" scan, but couldn't tell anything for sure since I'm not very far along. So she decided to do an internal ultrasound. I was starting to worry watching her face...but finally...after what seemed to be 3 hours, but was probably more like 1 minute, she flipped the screen around and showed me my beautiful baby and the sweetest and most miraculous heart beat I have ever seen (or at least in 2 years)!!!
Unfortunately Jason and Hayden weren't able to be in the room with me during the u/s, but afterwards, the technician went and retrieved them from the waiting room, and they were able to see a clip of the baby and the heartbeat. Tears welled up in Jason's eyes immediately...and I knew right in that second that we were both head over heals in love...yet again.
And Hayden's reaction...he calls the baby a fishy...and can't stop kissing my belly.

Sooo...yet another answered prayer. Happily.

***************************************************

During bedtime tonight Jason and Hayden were talking about the baby, and Jason asked Hayden what he wants to name it...we ask him this quite often, and his answer has always been consistant-Horton. Tonight however, the conversation went a bit differently:
J: Hayden, does Mommy have a baby in her belly?
H: Yes (although it's more like "yeth")
J: Do you have a baby in your belly?
H: Yeth (and then he lifts his shirt to show it off)
J: What do you think we should name Mommy's baby?
H: Ummm...Cereal!
J: Cereal?!?! That's a great name! What other name do you think?
H: Hmm...Milk!
and then like a bulb had gone off...
H: I think we should name baby fruit snacks!!!

Jason and I have a ritual when we come up with a new name that we want to run by the other person...we always have the recieving person close their eyes first. So tonight when he came in and told me to close my eyes, I was expecting his standard "kinnick"...however, when I heard Cereal, Milk and Fruit Snacks, Kinnick didn't sound too bad!!!

2 comments:

Leslie said...

So happy to hear that the little guppy is still growing away in it's comfy home. I holding back the tears right now...I clearly remember how stressful everything is if there is the slightest deviation from the 'norm'. And I'm sure it's even more so for you. Keep on growing guppy!

I've heard of families that let the children pick the name. The one I remember the most was for the family's 6th or 7th kid and the siblings each picked a name. The kid ended up being something like "Indiana Vader Rainbow Cookie Puppy" or something. I think they ended up nicknaming her "Indy"...which is what would happen in my family I think!!

Sarah@sweetpeaandjojo.blogspot.com said...

So glad that all is well with #2. Leah is super excited about her little brother. I'm sure Hayden will get more excited as time goes on. Great name choices! Leah knows her brother's name and it's awesome to hear her talk about him already.