Thursday, January 22, 2009

Big Boy Underpants...Potty Training Has Begun!!!




As most of you are painfully aware, we have (finally) begun the potty training journey...and so far it's been going...well??? I really have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing, but I'm just going with my gut with it, and hoping I'm doing everything correctly. Hayden actually does really, really well with peeing on the potty...in fact, on the his first day he only had 1 accident and it was 1 full week late before he had another. Pooping, however, has proven to be a different story. We've had SOME success, but for the most part, he's still going in his pull-up during naptime...and once even in his underpants. (ick) We reward him for going pee by putting stickers on a "chart" each time he goes (along with LOADS of praise), and with the pooing, I've taken it a step further and actually gone to the dollar section of Target and loaded up on some "prizes". This concept seems to work...to a degree...and he's well aware that when he DOES make it to the potty he gets a prize...but apparently, sometimes the incentive just isn't enough. Jay and I are really proud of the progress he's made so far, but are SO anxious to have this phase done and over with!!! 1 in diapers at a time please...and we're quickly running out of time!!! ...oh...and it turns out...patience IS a virtue!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I have/had no idea about potty training my kids either! Same as you, just followed my gut and did what seemed right. And, volia! The girls both use the potty without (much) issue. Now on to the boy....eek!!

Good job Hayden (and Mommy!)!!